Is writing dead?
It seems like a viable question when you consider the amount internet usage that is attributed to video. In addition, much more business is being discussed via text messaging which is often abbreviated, truncated and cryptic if you aren’t up on the latest vernacular!
Personally, I love the art of writing. I didn’t say I was an expert but I do love the pursuit. Ensuring that proper pronunciation and spelling are in place and technically accurate is a skill. I fear it is a skill that will diminish over time when/if we become reliant on the fast and furious pace of video and shortened messages.
Fear Filled Facts:
- By end of 2017, online video will account for 74% of all online traffic (KPCB).
- 4x as many customers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it (Animoto).
- YouTube has over a billion users, almost one-third of all people on the internet (YouTube).
No Fear of Change
Please do not mistake my message for a fear of change. I love being an early adopter to technology and utilize different mediums to communicate personal and corporate messaging. So, frankly maybe its just a little bit of nostalgia or an opining for the traditional that is the source of this blog, but certainly not the fear of change.
Practically Speaking (or Writing)
Writing helps the author:
- Organize thoughts
- Become a better speaker and communicator
- Get published and recognized as an authority or subject matter expert
- Organized thoughts and presentations helps in becoming a better sales person, trainer or educator
- It just feels good (Personal Opinion)
Regardless of how the internet traffic and corporate communication plays out the choice is yours! My encouragement would be to start writing! Sharing your thoughts and best ideas whether its via journaling, blogging or letters to someone you love will make for a great and lasting legacy for future generations.
Thank you for following my writings and longings at The Life You Can Afford to Live. Please also follow the diminutive writings which occur at Twitter and Facebook. However, if you just have to watch check out My YouTube Channel🙂